Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Advice for airplane and/or beach travel anyone?

Turns out we're going to Miami for a few days next week. Does anyone have any advice for me on doing this with an infant? I'd love your tips on airplane travel and/or playing on the beach as we have no clue what it will be like with a baby! Thanks in advance. :)

5 comments:

Kira said...

Airplane: Be sure he is sucking on something (Nursing, bottle, binky) ANYTHING during takeoff and landing-- otherwise his ears will hurt. My pediatrician recommended baby Tylenol to put them to sleep on the plane. You may want to check to see if Charlie is old enough for that.

Beach: Blanket, umbrella, sunscreen (obviously). An umbrella makes all the difference in the world with a baby. Tobin loves to sit on my lap right where the water meets the shore.

Have fun in Miami-- too bad its not Tampa!

Brian said...

We took Sam to the beach in NY when he was just a little older than Charlie. Make sure you have a large beach blanket. Sam kept grabbing the sand and eating handfuls of it. Charlie can't move yet, so maybe bring his BUMBO. He will love it. I also remember how fun it was to watch Sam feel the wind for the first time on the ocean. He kept looking like his breath was taken away. He kind of gasped every time and we really got a kick out of it. I am jealous. Have a wonderful time. P.S. I got the other lens!!! Hip. Hip.

janeal said...

I agree to try nursing during take off and landing. Or anytime he gets fussy! Bring a pacifier even if you typically don't use one; they can come in handy on certain occasions (like a plane ride!). I also got recommendations to try Baby Motrin or Tylenol to dull any pain from the pressure changes. I am so jealous that you'll be enjoying wonderful weather at the beach! Have fun!!!

Trisha said...

all of the above are great ideas. I would also make sure you have a good wide-brim hat for him, with a strap! Also, if you haven't gotten a swimsuit for him yet, Target has some cute ones for babies that are two piece "rash gaurd" material shirt and shorts- very cute.
Hmmm. We took Naomi to Lake Powell when she was 5 months and something that totally saved us was having a binky clip! We were in the water a lot and some binks don't float.....
Anyway, good luck on the plane, it's not too long of a plane ride, be sure to gate check your stroller and car seat if you want- I think that's easier than carrying babies through the airport but that's just me. You can board first but I usually board last- I mean why sit for an extra 1/2 hour on the plane if you don't have to?
You don't have to use a quart size baggie either for liquids, you can put all your baby liquid stuff in a gallon size bag:)
Good Luck, and have so much fun!

giff.jenna.maddox.jordi nielsen said...

Airplane: Gate check stroller and carseat, if Charlie does okay in carseats they'll let you bring it on if there are extra seats. If he doesn't like them, still check if there are any open seats and ask if you can sit next to one. Extra room always helps!

Beach: We have a beach tent we brought to Hawaii. It was awesome! Comfy place to nurse, hide out from sun and sand, take naps, etc. Hat with circular brim and under chin strap, rash gaurd (swim shirt) for sure, trunks, and swim diaper (side note, swim diapers are washable, probably don't want to do this with sandy or #2 diapers but #1 and pool water just throw in the laundry). I have a great floaty you can use! Remind me tomorrow if you want to use the tent or floaty!