Sunday, September 7, 2008

I give up!

I will no longer try to impose a schedule on my adorable little boy. Apparently an orderly life is just too much for us to aspire to for now. After talking with my friends about the wonderful nap/bedtime schedule their kids are one I got motivated to try and set one up for our family. Putting Charlie to bed at a consistent time for naps and bed seemed reasonable and it would sure make it easier to schedule appointments and plan our days. Charlie had been waking up pretty consistently around 7am so I figured I 'd go with that and put him down for a nap from 9ish-11ish and then 2ish-4ish give or take. Well, the first day of the new schedule Charlie slept in until 8am throwing off the rest of the day. The next day he would only sleep for 30 minutes in the morning no matter how hard I tried to coax him back to sleep. After trying and failing miserably for over a week, I give up! As irritating as it can be to have no way to plan my days, I will appreciate the upside of this dilemma. At least Charlie is adaptable which has definitely come in handy. If he doesn't get a long morning nap (either because he refuses to sleep or because we are running errands or at the beach, etc) he will almost certainly make it up in the afternoon. And he's even in a pretty good mood in the meantime. I will try to be more grateful for this gift because I know not every one is this lucky. So while we don't have a schedule I still have a fantastic and sweet little boy!




This is a new face that Charlie has been pulling. I call it his crinkle face. This is the whiny version where he may or may not begin crying if he doesn't get what he wants. The smiley version is much better but a bit more elusive - thus no picture as of yet.








I think Charlie looks a little like Huckleberry Finn in this picture.



In other news Charlie's 7th tooth broke through today. You can see where it's about to break through in the top picture. He has also taken to biting - hard. This is not a welcome development. Typically I end up getting bitten on my shoulder or on my knee depending on whether I'm holding Charlie or if he's standing and hanging on my leg. I can't quite figure out why he's biting but it seems like it may be that he's just getting frustrated that I can't figure out what he needs quickly enough. But he's biting so hard it's leaving a mark. So if you have any advice please pass on! We've been working on baby signing and I'm pretty sure that Charlie signed "milk" back to me a couple times - so exciting! We'll also hopefully have some fun beach pictures to post once I get the water camera developed. So check back later this week. :)

3 comments:

Holli said...

I can't believe how many teeth he has. He looks so grown up. He is so stinking cute. Mack is taking like five steps at a time. It's crazy how fast they grow!!!!

Becky said...

The more sign language he learns the less frustrated he'll be and I'm sure he'll stop biting! Asher just busts out with new signs all the time and I didn't even realized he picked them up! It's so cute! All the sudden one day he was signing milk and then Dad out of nowhere and even flower one day! I know Asher is less frustrated since he can do some signs and he's not talking!

janeal said...

Jamison still loves Baby Signing Time! :) He only learned like 2 of the signs though... I guess it's a good thing he's not completely deaf! As for the biting, I know you've been saying that he's getting all kinds of teeth, he may just be teething. I've heard that it feels good for them to put pressure on them. So I guess my advice would be to find something he likes to chew on (preferably not you), and try to make it readily available. I've heard cold/frozen things work well. Good luck! He's such a cutie though; those are great pictures!